Alcohol, also known as ‘drinking alcohol’ / ‘ethanol’, is the main ingredient in a large range of social drinks. Alcohol, the drug, is often recognized as one of the worlds most used intoxicants. Despite its legal status, alcohol’s potential for abuse comes with many health implications.
We offer a comprehensive Medical Detoxification and Alcohol Addiction Treatment Program to help you deal with alcoholism.
Treating Alcohol Addiction
Alcohol on its own is not immediately addictive however over-use can lead to dependence and ultimately alcoholism. If you are concerned for yourself, a friend or family member there is assistance available.
Spotting the signs of alcoholism can be difficult but alcohol treatment is the answer. Severe alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous and you should not try and quit on your own. We are here to help.
Symptoms of Dependence
Do you have an issue with Alcoholism? These are some of the signs:
- You spend a significant amount of time drinking, sick from drinking or “hungover”
- Drinking causes problems with work, family or school
- Thinking about drinking or when you will drink next
- Tried to stop or cut back but could not
- Increased volume of drinking
- Alcohol use is causing relationship issues or arguments
- Insured yourself as a result of drinking
- Stopped other activities in your life in order to drink
- Experienced blackouts where you don’t remember what happened because of alcohol
- Increased the amount of alcohol to get the same feeling
- Experienced withdrawal like symptoms when not drinking.
Any more than two of these symptoms should be an alarm that you are developing a dependence on alcohol.
Long Term Symptoms
The social acceptance of drinking alcohol can make addiction or abuse quite hard to spot. Frequent use of alcohol can cause dependence and long term health impacts. Some of the alcoholism symptoms of excessive or long term use include:
- Slurred and/or incoherent speech
- Impaired coordination / clumsiness
- Impaired verbal and mental fluidity
- Delayed reflexes
- Dose dependent stomach pains, nausea and vomitting
- Loss of control, loss of consciousness, and/or followed by blacking-out
- Redness of the face.
- Ranging emotional instability.
Alcohol is a neuroactive chemical, able to change a persons perception. The drug attaches to the GABA receptors, the chief inhibitory neurotransmitter of the central nervous system . Alcohol is a full agonist, meaning the more alcohol enters the body, the more will be attached to the receptor – this is dose dependent and can lead to severe health events, to possible over dose and death.
Alcohol abuse is noted to cause over 100,000 deaths per year in Canada and America. It is also reported to be the leading cause of death in teenagers and young adults.
When a person suffers from alcohol dependence and addiction, their mental and physical health inevitably suffers. The associated drinking patterns span from every day to periodic binges, depending on the emotional state of the individual.
The Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse and Addiction has published a low risk alcohol guide and a series of drinking guidelines. The guide emphasizes planning non drinking days in order to reduce the possibility of forming habits. Alcohol consumption in youth can have long term effects that shape dependence over their lifetime.
Call now for support
1 - 855 885 5805
For treatment or support, we’re only a phone call away. Our professionals are available to help around the clock.
Alcoholism Treatment Program
1000 Islands Wellness & Treatment Centre offers alcohol addiction treatment through a personalized approach unique to each client. Our facility is one of the most trusted and accomplished centers in the world that provides alcohol addiction treatment to clients from North America and the world. We know that alcohol abuse and dependence destroys lives, relationships and families. Our exclusive and confidential treatment programs aim to help addicts put an end to their alcohol addiction problem and provide assistance to recovering alcoholics to avoid any possibilities of relapse.
What our Alcohol Addiction Treatment Offers
Our professional staff at 1000 Islands Wellness & Treatment Centre specialize in a holistic, therapeutic treatment approach so that we treat the entire individual and not just their chemical alcohol addiction. Our alcohol rehabilitation treatment in Canada uses the following processes to address substance abuse and dependence in this particular area:
- Medical Detoxification
- Recreation Programs
- Holistic treatment approaches (inc. Yoga, Meditation)
- Art and Music therapy
- Relapse Prevention training
- Life Management
- Counselling for individuals, groups, and families
- Nutritional and dietary counselling
- Physical fitness and personal training
- Aftercare treatment solutions
Withdrawal and Alcohol Detox
Alcohol withdrawal symptoms can be life threatening. Medical Supervision during detoxification will ensure safe transition. Withdrawal symptoms can be worst within 24 to 72 hours of stopping drinking.
The seriousness of withdrawal symptoms may vary but could include:
- Hallucinating that you are hearing or seeing things that aren’t there
- Sleeping Problems
- Shaking – may be most prominent in the hands
- Delirium Tremens – rapid onset of confusion that causes erratic behaviour
- Increase in heart rate and blood pressure
We tailor our alcohol rehab treatment program to answer to the unique and specific needs of our clients, using the result of their initial assessment as the basis for our alcohol addiction treatment plan.
Why Alcohol Addiction Treatment is Necessary
The effects of alcohol addiction are destructive and devastating. A person suffering from alcohol abuse is vulnerable to mental, emotional, and physiological problems and when left unaddressed, alcohol addiction many times leads to death.
Alcoholics not only physically and mentally suffer due to their alcohol addiction but the resulting financial and social issues can destroy their lives. When is it time to seek alcohol addiction treatment? Now is the time to get help and finally put an end to your alcohol addiction problem.
1000 Islands Wellness & Treatment Centre is here to help!